Setting delay on WLAN-interface in RH9 during boot

Hi.

I'm fortunate that I've just bought a laptop, and I've installed Redhat 9. Installation and use is mostly problemless, it's smooth and elegant. Except for one little feature.

I've got two network interfaces, eth0 which is a standard ethernet card, and eth1 which is a WLAN card, loaded by orinoco_pci.

During boot, the laptop tries to initiate eth0, but after a few seconds it gives an error, asking me please as to check if the network cable is present (unless, of course, a network cable *is* present, then it proceeds and gives eth0 an IP-address).

But: When eth0 has been loaded, it tries to load eth1, which as said before, is the WLAN card, loaded by orinoco_pci. It stands forever (for five minutes or so) trying to locate a network connection. Of course, again, if there *is* a WLAN available, it detects it, recevies and IP-address and continues loading mere seconds later.

The problem, in short then, is when there is no WLAN present, booting lasts for five or so minutes more, because Redhat is trying to locate the non-existing WLAN.

So - I'm looking for a way to set the time out for eth1 down to, say, five seconds. I'm guessing it should be set somewhere in the following file:

# [root@snoopy root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
# DEVICE=eth1
# BOOTPROTO=dhcp
# ONBOOT=yes
# USERCTL=yes
# PEERDNS=yes
# TYPE=Ethernet
# [root@snoopy root]#

(This file has been a bit modified from the default Redhat configuration).

Unfortunately, however much I've tried to STFW, I can't seem to find that there is any option which applies to my needs.

I could, of course, set ONBOOT to "no", which would make boottime effortless and smooth, but I'd rather not. It seems to me that starting and stoping the network service every time I'm moving to-or-from the WLAN either at home, or at work, just isn't elegant.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

--
christian jacobsen
sturgeon's law: