RE: Using RJ45 crimp tool

How to actually use the tool itself:

First, I have 2 crimp tools.  One I bought long, long ago and another that
I got for free with a spool of CAT5 cable.  The free one looks good, but
doesn't make a reliable cable.  The one I got long, long ago really works
well.  There is a quality difference.

Here's what I do... Strip off a couple of inches of the outer insulation
off of the bundle pair.

Get the wires in the right order, but as you are
doing that, work them, work them, work them so that they are straight,
flat and parallel. (This takes some time.  Be patient.  The time spent
here is well spent)

Now hold the wires so that the bundle in the right order is flat and
sticks straight out.

Cut the wires so that they are all the same length.  Make your cut as
perpandicular to the wire as possible.  (A straight cut is important).

Now pick up an RJ45 plug and slide the wires into the plug.  Now push them
further in.  Now push them still further in.

Look through the plastic of the RJ45 plug and make sure that they are
pushed all the way in!!!  If not, keep pushing.

Slide the plug into the matching opening in the crimp tool (it only goes
in one way) and squeeze the handles of the crimping tool very hard.
Squeeze them several more times to make sure that you have a good
connection.

Use a cable tester to check the cable and you are done.

Mark