Re: Using RJ45 crimp tool

>This might be nitpicky, but as I understand it, color order does matter due to the use of the twisted pairs.  The pairs are twisted to compensate for the spin of the energy moving through the cables, lessening the occurrence of cross talk.  The popular standards consider the use of the pairs in such a manner.

For Gigabit network wiring, where all four paires are used, this will definately
be the case.  But, for 10baseT and 100baseT, you can swap pairs.  Only two of
the four pairs are used.  I do a lot of wiring for a couple of shows for my
company and at the last show, a pair was broken.  Of course, it was one of the
two pair that is active.  I just swapped a good pair for the bad and everything worked fine.  That cable can never be used to Gigabit networking, but in this
case it didn't matter.  The cable couldn't be replaced as it was under
carpeting.

>Inventing your own color pattern will cause a degradation of performance.

It is best to work under that rule.

BTW, the color code is old telephone standard for 4-pair cable (Orange-
Blue-Green-Brown).  How the pairs are used for ethernet is not.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign