Mail problem or perl problem or something

I've got a perl script that runs and sends an email. It worked fine until I added the -b option for a blank carbon copy. The mail is still getting sent to the last address, but the bcc's are not getting sent and the mail is added to dead.letter file. When I run a command line mail command with bcc it works fine. Anyone have an Idea?

Script snippet:
From a for loop that iterates through the array of email addresses in $row:

$setup = "-s \"Email Subject\" -b ransom@xxxxxxxx,webmaster@xxxxxxxx,postgres@xxxxxxxx $row[i]";
$check = system("echo -e $message | mail $setup");
----

ransom, webmaster and postgres do not recieve any email, but everyone in $row[i] do recieve the email.

Thanks,
Rich

--
Rich Ransom