Re: FAILED SMART self-check

Robert Canary wrote:
> As I said I *removed* the drive in the sda location.
> I then put the mirrored drive (on sdb) in its place (into sda).   Now sdb
> is running in the sda slot.
> I appreciate the suggestion, however, I do understand how RAID 1 works I
> understand what RAID 1 is.
> Yes I do have messages that sdb is missing.  I can disregard those
> messages for the moment.  However, since it is RAID 1 at the bios level,
> thats probally why I'm not seeing tons of message about it missing.
>
> My concern is I am still getting the same error.  for the device at sda.
> However, it is a different device was.  I have never seen RAID 1 transfer
> bad sector to the mirrored drive. I don't even think that is possible
> since we are talking about a physical defect.  . . . . .  aren't we?

Are the error messages showing the same physical block?

And moving the drive does nothing, so far as the system knows. Did you use
mdadm to remove the old /dev/sda, before physically removing the drive? If
so, that's rather worrisome, and I'd put the drive back in its original
drive bay, and see if you still get errors.

        mark