Re: Bug 80018: NFSv4 on RHEL 6.2 over six times slower than 5.7

On 07/10/12 20:41, Corey Kovacs wrote:
Well, looking at the Bugzilla, it looks like they are asking you to contact
your support rep. If you are working in the government, there will be a TAM

I'm waiting for my manager to tell me how to file. I have no idea what a TAM is - we do all this ourselves.

assigned to handle these problems. If you are a contractor working on
systems to be delivered to the government, then you need to be a paying
customer to expect support from Red Hat. Especially when your original
problem manifested on CentOS. Granted, it's the same code base, but that
doesn't make your problem on CentOS, a problem for Red Hat.

I'll say it one more time: we found the problem on CentOS. We went to our test RHEL system. Updated it. Exported a directory *from* the RHEL box to itself, to /mnt/foo, and ran the test, and got the same results.

In fact, I ran it twice today, updating the kernel in between, and with 6.3, it's taking a consistent 7.5 min, instead of the 6.5 we were getting with 6.2
<snip>
Now, all that said and done, here are some questions for you which might
help us figure what would help.

1. What options are present on the mount? (cat /proc/mounts, thinks like
sync can be a problem)

I"m not at work. I'll have to answer that in the morning. I will tell you that when we were first trying to figure it out, two months ago, I did try no sync.

2. What does your /etc/exports config look like on your server node (cat
/etc/exports)

/scratch/foo <servername>: options

3. You are using NFSv4, are you using Kerberos with it?

I don't believe we have kerborous set with NFS. We do use it for other things.

     3.a. If so, what mode are you using for your gss/krb flag? (krb5,
krb5i, krb5p)
4. What's your network speed? Are you sure? (ethtool ethX to make sure)

Gigabit.

5. Selinux?
Permissive.

6. Auditing?

Do you mean selinux auditing? As I said, doing it on the local drive takes seconds. Doing it from a 5.x NFS server takes about 1.5 min. Therefore, there's nothing that could affect it on the one server.

7. How many clients are hitting your server and how many nfsd threads are
you running on it?

No other clients. This is a test system.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of things to look at.

Anyway, in order to get any real help, you cannot just shout out, "My stuff
is broke, it's Red Hat's fault, no one will listen to me!"

Give us something to work with.

Try reading the damn bug.

By the way, in looking at the responses to your bugzilla, it doesn't look
to me like they were shamed into responding. It looks like are telling you
to go through proper channels if they exist. full stop.

No, they gave *ZERO* responses until today. The one and only response before today was, "oh, we're up to 6.3, we'll not even look at it".

And my manager, who's a fed, and I, a contractor, along with the other admin under him, who is also a contractor, handle the licenses, etc, so there's no one else to wait for.

	mark