Re: WINE crossover to run winscp for ASCII mode files transfer

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, sunhux G wrote:

I heard we can run Windows tools / binaries in RHES Linux :

Yes.  But in many cases you don't need to.

Q1:
Can someone give me all the links (&  its dependent rpm packages )
to download WINE / crossover for RHES 4.x / 5.x.  I have a Redhat
account

It's probably simpler to just go to RPMForge, install their rpmforge-release RPM and then do "yum install wine". But again, for this purpose I don't think you need to.

Q2:
How to go about setting up winscp to run on my RHES 4.x / 5.x Linux
box

As far as I'm aware you'd download the WinSCP .exe (not the installer, no need for that) and double-click it. If you'd installed Wine via RPM above you'd be prompted to use Wine to open/run it.

Q3:
A sample Shell script to run winscp to copy over a text file in ASCII
mode (yes, this is the ASCII mode equivalent in ftp) via sftp / scp
protocol.  Yes, I could have used unix2dos or Perl to convert a file
first before copying it using sftp/scp but due to policy in place, I was
told not to do conversion (which I can't understand why)

This is what I don't understand. Why not just use the OpenSSH SCP/SFTP stuff which is almost certainly already installed to copy this file over from wherever? Then all you need is to set up SSH keys and have a script similar to:

###########
#!/bin/bash

REMOTE_HOST=remote.host
REMOTE_USER=remoteuser
REMOTE_FILEPATH=/path/to/remotefile.txt
LOCAL_FILEPATH=/path/to/localfile.txt

scp $REMOTE_USER@REMOTE_HOST:$REMOTE_FILEPATH $LOCAL_FILEPATH
# Optionally convert the file (uncomment the correct direction below to # activate)
#dos2unix $LOCAL_FILEPATH
#unix2dos $LOCAL_FILEPATH

So long as the user you run that as has its public SSH key in "authorized_keys" on $REMOTE_HOST it should do everything you need.

Can you explain why you have to use WinSCP?

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.