Re: Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

I've not been following this too closely, but I'll make a few suggestions in no particular order.

1. Add an iptables logging rule that logs and connections to port 25 not from localhost. Something like:
iptables -I INPUT -i ! lo -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j LOG

Verify connections (or lack thereof) in /var/log/messages

2. Is SELinux enabled? Find out with "getenforce" .. if it is on, turn it off temporarily with "setenforce 0" (as root)

3. Is there anything relevant in /var/log/messages /var/log/maillog /var/log/audit/audit.log ??

4.  Make sure you're not out of inodes with "df -i"

5. Try connecting to the mail server manually from another machine on the same subnet.

6. Verify other Internet communications work .. perhaps you've got a bad route of some kind.

7.  Run some tests with swaks <http://jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/>

8.  Use system-switch-mail to verify that your system is using sendmail.

9. Add a second local IP address to your machine .. test that as well, see if there are any different results.

Good luck.

Barry