RE: Setting up second nic for local lan backup

To specify which NIC to use for the default gateway add GATEWAYDEV=ethX into your /etc/sysconfig/network file .. where X is replaced with the proper device interface.

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Steven Buehler wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Matt Iavarone
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:47 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Setting up second nic for local lan backup

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Steven Buehler <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a Redhat 5.2 box that I am trying to setup in internal lan on
for backing up to a local machine since my Provider charges for any
bandwith going over the external IP's even though it comes right back
to another server of my network.  Below is the setup for the 2 nics
that I tried, but when I try to start the second nic with "ifup eth1",
it looses the route for the first nic so my external IP will no longer
work unless I restart it which then takes the route out of the second
nic.  What am I missing?  I hope someone can help me with this.  BTW,
the second nic is connected to an internal router.  I am assuming that
I can't just use a switch instead any easier.

# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:1c:23:d5:be:02
IPADDR=101.110.67.100
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=101.110.67.1
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
PEERDNS=no

# cat ifcfg-eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
IPADDR=192.168.2.151
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
HWADDR=00:1c:23:d5:be:04
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet

You need to remove the gateway from the second NIC and use iproute2 to add a
second default route for eth1.

-Matt

Thank you Matt,
Question, the router we were going to use has problems.  My boss wants to
buy a hub to use for this LAN we will be using on the second nics for
backups.  I don't like hubs.  Shouldn't we have another router or switch
instead?

Thanks
Steve