Re: 32 to 64

On 12/16/2010 05:15 PM, Masoom Siddiqui wrote:
Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered before. Has anyone attempted to do an
"in-place" upgrade of RHEL from 32 to 64 bit, either keeping to same major
version or different? What issues, if any, have you run into?

It appears that there is an upgrade option. Below is from a redhat
article...

In-place upgrades across major releases do not preserve all system settings,
services or custom configurations...Having said this, there is an upgrade
option to allow an upgrade without requiring a full reinstall. To get this
functionality, insert the installation CD of the new version and enter
either of these commands on the boot prompt:

# linux upgrade

or

# linux upgradeany

Regards

-sid
I have and I think it was RHEL 5.3 32 bit-> 64 bit and vice versa. Generally speaking, both of them created problems with third party applications that were linked to no standard libraries. In other words, if you have 32 bit binaries that you would like to run on the x86_64 environment, you might run into library problems. Most of the problems can be resolved by manually going through the old binaries and replacing the library locations in /etc/ld.so.conf, especially as the x86_64 environment allows you to install the 32-bit version of programs and dev libs (i386) from yum repositories.

If you have the option, I would advise you to perform a clean 64-bit install from scratch, always keeping an eye on third party apps and informing your developers that they might have to re-compile/install the binaries of the applications. This works better saving hours of resolving lib dependencies.

In these environments, it also helps to install third party apps in non /usr or /usr/local locations. In my production systems, I have a separate /site/progs volume/partition that includes the bins and the associated libs. Most of the times, an upgrade or even a clean install option, will give you the option to preserve the partition. That way, when I mounted the preserved 32-bit /site partition in the x86_64 environment, most of the programs worked with minimum tweaking.

GM

George Magklaras
Senior Systems Engineer/IT Manager
Biotek Center, University of Oslo