Re: Advice sought on RCU stalls on ARM64 WSL2

Hello, Max, Boqun and Paul,

On 3/4/2024 4:54 PM, Max Boone wrote:
> On Mon Mar 4, 2024 at 4:33 PM UTC, Boqun Feng wrote:
>> I haven't seen this issue before, looks to me the stall is caused by
>> clear_rseq_cs(), which is basically a put_user(), and I don't have an
>> immediate theory, could you share the kernel repo and configuration you
>> used, so that I can see if I can reproduce this? (Note I don't have the
>> exact device as you do nor an ARM64 Windows system with the exact
>> Windows build you are using).
>
> This happens on the default Windows System for Linux 2 setup, thus the
> kernel built with the following sources:
> - https://github.com/microsoft/WSL2-Linux-Kernel/tree/linux-msft-wsl-5.15.y

FWIW, I use a Windows machine that has WSL2 (kernel version
5.15.133.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2) and I have never experienced any kind of
hang. Though, this is a desktop and not a laptop or battery powered device.

> It also happens when I build the kernel myself from a more recent
> release:
> - https://github.com/maxboone/SQ2-Linux-Kernel-Builds
>
> Microsoft should have a Development Kit (Volterra) with identical hardware
> to mine (and other Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 9 users) that run into the
> same issue with WSL2.

Right, so at least that's a data point, that its Surface-specific (?). Have you
tried to disable power management and see if it occurs? Like disable suspend,
disable cpuidle, etc.

Have you tried to reproduce the issue with CONFIG_RSEQ=n and see if it happens?

Also this github thread looks awfully similar to the github thread you pointed
and has the same clear_rseq signature leading to the RCU stall. Over there also
it is a hang, but they say the CPU usage is at 100%:
https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/8529

thanks,

 - Joel