Re: About the conflict between XFS inode recycle and VFS rcu-walk

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 02:35:17PM +0800, Jinliang Zheng wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:14:32 +1100, david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 05, 2023 at 07:38:33PM +0800, alexjlzheng@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > I would like to ask if the conflict between xfs inode recycle and vfs rcu-walk
> > > which can lead to null pointer references has been resolved?
> > >
> > > I browsed through emails about the following patches and their discussions:
> > > - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20220217172518.3842951-2-bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx/
> > > - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20220121142454.1994916-1-bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx/
> > > - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/164180589176.86426.501271559065590169.stgit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > >
> > > And then came to the conclusion that this problem has not been solved, am I
> > > right? Did I miss some patch that could solve this problem?
> >
> > We fixed the known problems this caused by turning off the VFS
> > functionality that the rcu pathwalks kept tripping over. See commit
> > 7b7820b83f23 ("xfs: don't expose internal symlink metadata buffers to
> > the vfs").
>
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> The problem I encountered in the production environment was that during the
> rcu walk process the ->get_link() pointer was NULL, which caused a crash.
>
> As far as I know, commit 7b7820b83f23 ("xfs: don't expose internal symlink
> metadata buffers to the vfs") first appeared in:
> - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/YZvvP9RFXi3%2FjX0q@bfoster/
>
> Does this commit solve the problem of NULL ->get_link()? And how?

I suggest reading the call stack from wherever the VFS enters the XFS
readlink code.  If you have a reliable reproducer, then apply this patch
to your kernel (you haven't mentioned which one it is) and see if the
bad dereference goes away.

--D