Re: SRCU: kworker hung in synchronize_srcu

On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 10:27 AM Neeraj upadhyay <neeraj.iitr10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 5:49 AM Joel Fernandes <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Maybe it matters, as for a CPU, the callbacks will only be scheduled
> > > in srcu_gp_end() for the GPs, for which it has updated ->srcu_data_have_cbs[idx]
> > > and ->srcu_have_cbs[idx]
> >
> > Right but if I am looking at the code correctly, nothing guarantees
> > that srcu_invoke_callbacks is called before srcu_gp_seq can advance.
> > So all callbacks that were previously queued for older grace periods
> > should be run whenever srcu_invoke_callbacks() eventually runs. That's
> > why I was thinking that part looked normal to me (segments having
> > older GP numbers).

> > > If the callback is in NEXT_TAIL and not assigned GP num,
> > > rcu_segcblist_advance() won't move it and next accelerate in
> > > srcu_invoke_callbacks() will
> > > assign it the next gp sequence num.
> >
> > Sure, and after that again it will call srcu_schedule_cbs_sdp() so
> > that should be fine and the next workqueue invocation
> > srcu_invoke_callbacks() can advance at that time. Right?
> >

> But "more" only checks for CBs in DONE tail. The callbacks which have been just
> accelerated are not advanced to DONE tail.
>
> Having said above, I am still trying to figure out, which callbacks
> are actually being pointed
> by NEXT tail. Given that __call_srcu() already does a advance and
> accelerate, all enqueued
> callbacks would be in either WAIT tail (the callbacks for current
> active GP) or NEXT_READY
> tail (the callbacks for next GP after current one completes). So, they
> should already have
> GP num assigned and srcu_invoke_callbacks() won't accelerate them.
> Only case I can
> think of is, if current GP completes after we sample
> rcu_seq_current(&ssp->srcu_gp_seq) for
> rcu_segcblist_advance() (so, WAIT tail cbs are not moved to DONE tail)
> and a new GP is started
> before we take snapshot ('s') of next GP  for
> rcu_segcblist_accelerate(), then the gp num 's'
> > gp num of NEXT_READY_TAIL and will be put in NEXT tail. Not sure
> if my understanding is correct here. Thoughts?
>
> __call_srcu()
>         rcu_segcblist_advance(&sdp->srcu_cblist,
>                               rcu_seq_current(&ssp->srcu_gp_seq));
>         s = rcu_seq_snap(&ssp->srcu_gp_seq);
>         (void)rcu_segcblist_accelerate(&sdp->srcu_cblist, s);

Thanks for helping to confirm this!

What I want to explain in my CASE (maybe is not totally correct, I "created"
it which base the hung context), is rcu_segcblist_advance and
rcu_segcblist_accelerate in srcu_invoke_callbacks maybe using not-matched
GP seq. And this makes the callbacks "accelerate" to wrong GP, which has no
CBS event on that SNP (CPU groups), then callback leaked in segcglist, cause
__synchronize_srcu hang.