Re: Is there a reason we don't have kvfree_rcu()?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 06:54:00AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> I would guess that sorting them before the grace period might improve
> cache locality and thus performance.  So it does seem like an excellent
> thing to try, at the very least as an experiment.

That doesn't seem at all obvious.  Processing them in separate batches
would improve I-cache locality, but you could sort them after the
grace period just as well as before.  Especially if you have arrays of
500 pointers to work with.

Indeed, one thing that seems worth trying is sorting by address, which
would improve D-cache locality, since you have a significant chance for
consecutive frees to be in the same slab or otherwise reference the same
overhead data structures.

Sorting by (address - VMALLOC_START) automatically groups the vallocated
poiners together at the front, too.  Since there's no vfree_bulk, you can
iterate over them until you run out, then kfree_bulk the rest.

(This idea came from a memory that bulk file operations can be
made faster by sorting by inode number.)

P.S. if you want to fit one extra pointer in the array, an array index
identifying the first unused slot is distinguishable from a pointer,
so if the last slot is a pointer, the page is full.  If it's an index,
the page is not full.