Re: Filesystem corruption when adding a new RAID device (delayed-resync, write-mostly)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 09:15:40 +0200
Mateusz Jończyk <mat.jonczyk@xxxxx> wrote:

> Dnia 24 lipca 2024 23:19:06 CEST, Paul E Luse
> <paul.e.luse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał/a:
> >On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 22:35:49 +0200
> >Mateusz Jończyk <mat.jonczyk@xxxxx> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, hardware failure seems not to be the case.
> >>
> >> I did test it again on 6.10, twice, and in both cases I got
> >> filesystem corruption (but not as severe).
> >>
> >> On Linux 6.1.96 it seems to be working well (also did two tries).
> >>
> >> Please note: in my tests, I was using a RAID component device with
> >> a write-mostly bit set. This setup does not work on 6.9+ out of the
> >> box and requires the following patch:
> >>
> >> commit 36a5c03f23271 ("md/raid1: set max_sectors during early
> >> return from choose_slow_rdev()")
> >>
> >> that is in master now.
> >>
> >> It is also heading into stable, which I'm going to interrupt.
> >
> >Hi Mateusz,
> >
> >I'm pretty interested in what is happening here especially as it
> >relates to write-mostly.  Couple of questions for you:
> >
> >1) Are you able to find a simpler reproduction for this, for example
> >without mixing SATA and NVMe.  Maybe just using two known good NVMe
> >SSDs and follow your steps to repro?
>
> Hello,
>
> Well, I have three drives in my laptop: NVMe, SATA SSD (in the DVD
> bay) and SATA HDD (platter). I could do tests on top of these two
> SATA drives. But maybe it would be easier for me to bisect (or
> guess-bisect) in the current setup, I haven't made up my mind yet.

OK, thanks.

> >2) I don't fully understand your last two statements, maybe you can
> >clarify?  With your max_sectors patch does it pass or fail?  If pass,
> >what do mean by "I'm going to interrupt"? It sounds like you mean the
> >patch doesn't work and you are trying to stop it??
>
> Without this patch I wouldn't be able to do the tests. Without it,
> degraded RAID1 with a single drive in write-mostly mode doesn’t start
> at all.
>
> With my last statement I meant that I was going to stop this patch
> from going to stable kernels. At this point, it doesn’t seem to me
> that my patch is the direct cause of the problems, that I missed
> something. However, I think that it is currently better to fail this
> setup outright rather than risk somebody's data.

OK, I would say please do not try to stop the patch, it is a good fix
although maybe not completely solving your problem it should land.

Unless Kwai has another opinion.

-Paul