RAID-10N2 vs RAID-1 - Simple test

Hi all,

finally I had some time to check the performances,
albeit in a very simple way, between a RAID-10 near 2
and a RAID-1.

The setup had 2 SATA SSD and 2 NVME SSD, delivering
two different storage configurations (2 SATA or 2 NVME).

The test was a simple sequential read from the raw
device (/dev/mdX), with read block size of 1MB.

The RAID-10N2 had chunk size of 512KB (default),
which happens to be exactly 1/2 of the read block
size (not by accident).
This means it would be optimal to read from two
devices, in case of RAID-10N2.

For the RAID-10N2 and the SATA SSDs, I got ~920MB/s
transfer rate, not so stable, but reproducible.
For tha RAID-1 and the SATA SSDs, I got ~480MB/s,
which is in line with the single SSD (raw) device
sequential read.

For the RAID-10N2 and the NVME SSDs, I got 3390MB/s,
extremely stable and reproducible.
For the RAID-1 and the NVME SSDs, I got 2490MB/s,
still extremely stable and reproducible.

In my view it is pretty clear that the RAID-10N2
reads interleaving the two devices (visible by
"iostat -m 5), and saturates whatever bottleneck
is there.
I can imagine that, with HDDs, this will bring
nothing, since the head of the HDD has anyway
to fly over the skipped blocks.
In SSDs, on the other hand, this is not an issue.

For the RAID-1, is also clear that one device is
involved in the transfer (not so visible with
"iostat -m 5).

Of course, as stated at the beginning, this is
a very very simple test, it does not take into
account anything else except raw sequential
read performances.
Nevertheless, this was my initial doubt.

Hope this helps,

bye

--

piergiorgio