Re: RAID-10 near vs. RAID-1

On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 01:04:18 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 11.06.24 um 20:31 schrieb Piergiorgio Sartor:
> > I'm setting up a system with 2 SSD M.2 (NVME).
> >
> > I was wondering if would it be better, performace
> > wise, to have a RAID-10 near layout or a RAID-1.
> >
> > Looking around I found only one benchmark:
> >
> > https://strugglers.net/~andy/blog/2019/06/02/exploring-different-linux-raid-10-layouts-with-unbalanced-devices/
> >
> > Which uses mixed SSD, NVME and SATA.
> >
> > Does anybody have any suggestions, links, or
> > ideas on the topic?
> >
> > BTW, practically speaking, what's the difference,
> > between the two RAIDs?
>
> i wouldn't even consider a RAID10 with two disks, especially with SSD
> and practically you end with a unsupported RAID1 because there are no
> stripes with 2 disks

I don't disagree but I would recommend you try each variation and
measure the performance for yourself.  It's a great learning experience
if you haven't done it before and there's nothing like trusting your
own data over on your own system/config something that someone else has
done when there are so many factors that can affect performance.

-Paul