raid1 show clean but md0 will not assemble

Hi, I am new to raid, but have many decades in tech.

I have a raid1 array that was working, but now gives conflicting information, that I need some help understanding. Searching did not answer for my specific situation.

I've put all the required output in a file instead of attaching here.:

http://seahorsecorral.org/bugreport/linux-raid-help-form.txt.gz

What confuses me is both drives report clean with mdadm --examine

so it does not look like a typical degraded situation.

I can not see clearly why they are out of sync. Is it timestamps, last unmounted time, superblocks broken, etc. I would think if something was altered it would say where that happened. That would get into what I was doing when it broke, and make a longer story.

Model numbers specs show CMR, not shingled. Problems with portable shingled drives is what moved me into creating a raid.

sdc is inactive, slot 0, (AA), and is out of date. I guess AA is from the last time it was written to? So it was turned off in the correct condition.

sdd is RO degraded mountable, slot 1, and (.A)

That indicates 0 is Missing. I understand missing from the current array, but... it's right there.

I have set SCT Error Recovery Control to 7 seconds today, After the problem occurred, so is a detail to be ignored.

I have tried this:

$ sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm: stopped /dev/md0

$ sudo mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/sdc1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 0.
mdadm: /dev/sdd1 is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: added /dev/sdc1 to /dev/md0 as 0 (possibly out of date)
mdadm: added /dev/sdd1 to /dev/md0 as 1
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).

My questions:

Where are the Last-updated timestamps? Don't they match?

Is the correct way to fix this, to --force  OR  --delete and --add ?

What exactly would force do?

I can find nothing about what exactly that does. Presumably something less than a whole disk copy like the 2nd option.

Do I need to --zero-superblock sdc first, without seeing a specific error regarding the superblocks?

Thank you