Re: Help compiling mdadm 4.2 for static binary

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:37:09 -0500
Stephen Haran <steveharan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> Compiling mdadm 4.2 from source by just running the "make" command
> works fine on Ubuntu 18.04.6.
>
> But I want a static binary so I run "make everything" but it fails.
> Any idea where I'm going wrong? Thank you!

Hi Stephen,
You cannot do something wrong when building is broken. The true is that
wea re not testing static library compilation. We should consider
removing it for now.
If you want this, feel free to take challenge to make it working. If not, I can
remove mdadm.static target (if there are no objections). Let me know.

There is more work to make a good library in mdadm. I believe that
removing current mdadm.static target is reasonable to start building library
API from scratch in the future- if there will be need to.

Thanks,
Mariusz