Re: New device added but i did a mess

在 2024/1/25 22:49, Gandalf Corvotempesta 写道:
Ok, i think i did a mess.
I have a 3 way mirror with 3 drives on it
All drives are working, not failed.
I would like to replace one of these drive (because it's very old)
with a new drive.
I would like to to the add and replace in the same phase, without
reducing the redundancy level
I did this multiple times before, during the sync, the array is a 4 way mirror

BUT this time i think i did an issue, i've just run this:

$ mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdd1 --replace /dev/sda1 --with /dev/sdd1

It is right.

sda was marked failed immediately, and sdd1 is marked as active sync.
Less than 1 second.

Is this ok or i've just added a blank drive and forced the removal of
a working one ?

Honestly, and this is something that comes to mind right now, the
partition is very very small, like 64MB so 1 second sync (on a SSD)
could be ok.

but:
1. which is the right command to run to add-sync-remove a not-failed disk  > 2. how can I ensure that sdd is working as expected and data were
synced properly?

you can check dmesg. The following means the beginning and ending of
recovery:
  md: recovery of RAID array md0
  md: md0: recovery done.

Also, you can get more information with 'mdadm -D /dev/md0'
syncing:
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        0        0      active sync   /dev/sda
       3       8       48        0      spare rebuilding   /dev/sdd
       1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb
       2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc

sync success:
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       3       8       48        0      active sync   /dev/sdd
       1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb
       2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc

       0       8        0        -      faulty   /dev/sda

--
Thanks,
Nan