Re: [REGRESSION] 6.7.1: md: raid5 hang and unresponsive system; successfully bisected

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:35 PM Dan Moulding <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some additional new information: I realized after filing this report
> that on the mainline there is a second commit, part of a pair, that
> was supposed to go with commit 0de40f76d567. That second commit
> upstream is d6e035aad6c0 ("md: bypass block throttle for superblock
> update"). That commit probably also was supposed to have been
> backported to stable along with the first, but was not, since it
> provides what is supposed to be a replacement for the fix that has
> been reverted.
>
> So I rebuilt my kernel with the missed commit also backported instead
> of just reverting the first commit (i.e. I have now built 6.7.1 with
> just commit d6e035aad6c0 on top). Unfortunately, I can still reproduce
> the hang after applying this second commit. So it looks
> like even with that fix applied the regression is still present.
>
> Coincidentally, I see it seems this second commit was picked up for
> inclusion in 6.7.2 just today. I think that needs to NOT be
> done. Instead the stable series should probably revert 0de40f76d567
> until the regression is successfully dealt with on master. Probably no
> further changes related to this patch series should be backported
> until then.

I think we still want d6e035aad6c0 in 6.7.2. We may need to revert
0de40f76d567 on top of that. Could you please test it out? (6.7.1 +
d6e035aad6c0 + revert 0de40f76d567.

OTOH, I am not able to reproduce the issue. Could you please help
get more information:
  cat /proc/mdstat
  profile (perf, etc.) of the md thread

Thanks,