Grow very slow and lost a drive

Hello,
I had a RAID5 with 4x 4Tb drives.
I added a fifth drive to grow into 5x 4TB. Everything was perfect.
Too bad one of the original drive went faulty.
The Reshape speed went to less than 100Kb/s and the server become very unresponsive.
Also kernel operation timeout went out.
I tried to shutdown system but it crashed.
Then I reassemble the raid. The old faulty drive become spare drive and raid went active with 4/5 drives(3 original + 1 new(1% reshaped)).
Reshaping restarted automatically but become slow as before and crash system.
I tried to assemble it as readonly and it works perfectly, all data still there.

How can I reshape without this disaster?

I have a solid  backup of everything on LTO tapes, but if there is an easiest way I’d prefer.

Thankyou for help.

Luca