Re: mdadm grow raid 5 to 6 failure (crash)

I wanted to provide an update on this thread. First of all thank you
for all the insights and recommendations. I finally found a way to
recover my data and wanted to pass what the fix was in the event
someone stumbles across this exact scenario. Summary below
 - I believe there is some kind of problem with kernel or module in
5.14.0-319.el9.x86_64 for my controller (ASMedia ASM1064 chipset)
which I believe was responsible for the drives attached to it
disappearing while my grow from raid 5 to raid 6 was taking place
 - After the above event (and rebooting) whenever I tried to assemble
the raid to kick off resuming the rebuild mdadm would hang as
previously described in this thread.
 - After Yu pointed me to a patch that might of bypass the issue I
decided to first boot the system on a rescue disk with an older kernel
(3.x) and mdadm version
 - Fortunately, my assemble succeeded and the grow resumed and the
slow rebuild of my 30TB array completed 17 days later
 - My ASMedia ASM1064 chipset controller was 100% stable for the 17
days of rebuild on the old kernel
 - As soon as I went back to my 5.14.0-319.el9.x86_64 kernel my
ASMedia ASM1064 controller started showing ata timeout errors and
drives disappearing again
 - I ended up just purchasing another controller with a different
chipset (Marvell 88SE9215) out of desperation and the system is
finally stable and my data is all intact!

Again thank you everyone for the help!

--David