Re: mdadm minimum kernel version requirements?

On 4/10/23 17:54, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bumped the minimum kernel version required for mdadm to 2.6.32.
>>
>> Should we drop support for anything prior to 3.10 at this point, since
>> RHEL7 is 3.10 based and SLES12 seems to be 3.12 based.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> When you talk about changing the required kernel version, I would find
> it helpful if you at least mention what actual kernel features you now
> want to depend on - at least the more significant ones.
>
> Aside from features, I'd rather think about how old the kernel is.
> 2.6.32 is over 13 years old.
> 3.10 is very nearly 10 years old.
> If there is something significant that landed in 3.10 that we want to
> depend on, then requiring that seems perfectly reasonable.
>
> I think the oldest SLE kernel that you might care about would be 4.12
> (SLE12-SP5 - nearly 6 years old).  Anyone using an older SLE release
> values stability over new functionality and is not going to be trialling
> a new mdadm.

Hi Neil,

I guess my mindset is more that I don't expect RHEL/SLES grade distros
to fully upgrade mdadm, but I do see them backporting changes occasionally.

I was mostly basing my question on what I see us testing for in the
actual code. Dropping support for anything prior to SLES 12 (4.12) and
RHEL 8 (kernel 4.18) seems fair.

Cheers,
Jes