Re: Recover data from accidentally created raid5 over raid1

On 4/13/23 02:10, Moritz Rosin wrote:
Good Morning everyone.

Thank god I have very good news, since I managed to get access to (hopefully most of) the data.
I want to share the path I took with you for further reference.

First thing I tried was to use "foremost" directly on the raid array (/dev/md0) that had no partition table. That was just partially successful since it ran *verry* slowly and produced mixed results. Many broken files, no dir structure, no filenames. But there were files that came out correctly (content wise) - so I had hope.

Following your advice I then start off on this page: https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID (chapter "Making the harddisks read-only using an overlay file"). With what you assumed, that the data should be there on the raw disks, I created overlays as explained. One note here: In step 3 the page used "blockdev --getsize ...." but in my version (2.36.1) that parameter is marked as "deprecated" an didn't work. I had to use "blockdev --getsz" instead.

Having the overlays I fiddled around and ended up using "testdisk", let it analyze the overlay device "/dev/mapper/sdX1". After selecting "EFI GPT" partition type, it found a partition table I was able to use. From here on the process was pretty straight forward. testdisk showed the disk's old file structure and I was able to copy the "lost" files to a backup hdd. The process is still running but spot tests were pretty promising that most of the data can be recovered.

When backup has finished. I will completely re-create the array and start with a clean setup :-)

Thanks again for your support, input and thoughts.

Best
Moritz

Good morning Moritz,

That's great news.  Thanks for reporting back.

Phil