Renaming md raid and moving md raid to a different machine.

Hi,

My primary DVR is old and I need to move it to more recent hardware. I have two md raids (a raid1 and another raid6) called /dev/md0 and /dev/md1. I plan to have root on the new machine on raid1 and thus I like to rename my /dev/md0 to /dev/md1 in the old machine before I move it to the new machine. After that I want to move the disks in the most recommended way to minimize the chance of loss.

Since the data is large and usually contains recordings and videos that have backup on Hulu/Ultraviolet, I worry less about backup. Still it will be big task to repopulate all my data from the source and therefore prefer not to do stupid things and loose the data.

Online search showed me a way to rename using just mdadm.conf and that did not work at all. In fact it messed up my raid6 that I had a panic for a short time. Luckily, I got everything back working normally. So, I am not sure which one of the online instructions to follow to rename my /dev/md0 to /dev/md1 before the move. So, I thought best to ask here.

Also, once I renamed /dev/md0 to /dev/md1, I want to move all 6 disks in raid6 to the new machine. What is the correct procedure so that after the movement, I will be able to reboot both the old machine without raid6 (ie /dev/md1)and the new machine with the moved disks as /dev/md1? Ideally, I like to teach my old machine to forget /dev/md1 that I want to move and not touch the disks. If I do not do that, I am afraid my reboot (of the old machine) will get stuck at some point trying to look for the missing disks/md. All online tutorial talks about how to assemble on new machine. Does not talk about gracefully removing an md from an old machine. I want to know if there is any trick to this other than shutting down and pulling all disks and rebooting.

Old host runs debian bullseye (linux 5.19, mdadm v4.1) and new will run debian testing/bookworm (linux 6.1, mdadm v4.2). Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks and Regards
Ramesh