Re: [dm-devel] RAID4 with no striping mode request

The SMART on the disk marks the disk as FAILED when you hit the
manufacturer's posted limit (1000 or 2000 writes average).    I am
sure using a "FAILED" disk would make a lot of people nervous.

The conclusion of you can write as fast as you can and it will take 3
years to wear out would be specific to that specific brand/version
with a given set of chips in it, and may or may not hold to other
vendors/chips/versions, and so may have quite a bit of variation in
it.  I think I remember seeing that, but I don't remember what the
average write rate was.  The one I just found says 200TB of writes on
a 240g drive, so about 8000erases per cell was the lowest failure
rate, with some drives making it 3-5x higher.