Parity distribution when adding disks to md-raid6

Hello, I hope I haven't missed finding the answer to my question. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

tl;dr

When adding new block devices to an existing md raid 6 array, how are the P & Q chunks distributed over the new devices?

medium version

I'm replacing the drives in my home NAS and can't fully populate it all at one.  I can start with 4 drives, and create a raid 6 array.  When I add drives #5 and #6, will the parity chunks remain on the first four devices or will the resync process distribute them over the entire array, just like it would if I created the array with all devices?  Is there anything I should do (with mdadm) to an array after adding devices that's not just at the md level not the fs level?

details
It's a Netgear ReadyNAS, running kernel 4.4.218 and mdadm v4.1, a lightly modified version of Debian 8 (Jessie) and there isn't a newer release from the vendor.  It puts a single btrfs filesystem on top of md volumes.