Re: about linear and about RAID10

Am 28.11.22 um 17:51 schrieb Roger Heflin:
It depends on why the drive fails.

My operational experience is a complete drive failure is rare

i stopped to count the replaced HDDs in the past 20 years

Most  of the failures are a bad sector

replacement case when it makes it up to the layer where mdadm even has to act

and/or a transient interface error

won't trigger a rebuild - thats waht write intent bitmaps are for

on my sliced setup most of the time only result in a single slice/partition getting kicked and needing a re-add.

hwo can a single parition disappear and others not?

And the slicing does make each grow step smaller/faster, and it also allows one to play games with different sized disks being sliced.

smaller but NOT faster

My setup started with 1.5TB disks sliced into 2, and then when I went to 3TB disks sliced into 4, and allows mixing and matching underlying disk sizes for a system with some disks of each.   My 6's have 6 slices (4x.75TB, 2x1.5TB).

yeah makes sense to sepearte os/data and so on but the OP at the end of the day thows LVM and/or another RAID-layer on top to end with a singe big storage where all that partition slicing is nonsense

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:06 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Am 28.11.22 um 15:46 schrieb David T-G:
     > I don't at this time have a device free to plug in locally to
    back up the
     > volume to destroy and rebuild as linear, so that will have to
    wait.  When
     > I do get that chance, though, will that help me get to the
    awesome goal
     > of actually INCREASING performance by including a RAID0 layer?

    stacking layers over layers will *never* increase performance - a pure
    RAID0 will but if one disk is dead all is lost

    additional RAID0 on top or below another RAID won't help

    your main problem starts by slicing your drives in dozens of partitions
    and "the idea being that each piece of which should take less time to
    rebuild if something fails"

    when a drive fails all your partitions on that drive are gone - so
    rebuild isn't faster at the end

    with that slicing and layers over layers you get unpredictable
    head-movemnets slowing things down

    keep it SIMPLE!