Re: about linear and about RAID10 (was "Re: how do i fix these RAID5 arrays?")

On 25/11/2022 13:30, David T-G wrote:
% Either version (10, or 1+0), gives you get the speed of striping, and the
% safety of a mirror. 10, however, can use an odd number of disks, and disks
% of random sizes.

That's still magic to me 😄  Mirroring (but not doubling up the
redundancy) on an odd number of disks?!?

Disk:     a   b   c

Stripe:   1   1   2
          2   3   3
          4   4   5
          5   6   6

and so on.

I was trying to work out how I'd smear them a lot more randomly, but it was a nightmare. Iirc, no matter how many drives you have, (for two copies) it seems that drive a is only mirrored to drives b and c, for any value of a. So if you lose drive a, and then either b or c, you are guaranteed to lose half a drive of contents.

It also means that replacing a failed drive will hammer just two drives to replace it and not touch the others. I wanted to try and spread stuff far more evenly so it read from all the other drives, not just two. Okay, it increases the risk that you will lose *some* data to a double failure, but reduces the *amount* of data at risk (and also reduces the risk of a double failure!). Because if the first failure *provokes* the second, data loss is pretty much guaranteed.

Cheers,
Wol