Re: change UUID of RAID devcies

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:54:21 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> it's not funny when you are used to rsync your /etc/fstab over 11 years
> >> that doing so would lead in a unbootbale system on the other side
> >
> > For this I'd suggest to use LABEL=rootfs (and so on) in fstab, instead of
> > UUIDs.
> >
> > It's kind of the point of UUIDs that they are supposed to be (even globally)
> > unique, and there should not be the same UUID on two different machines
>
> that's already the case for 15 years here
>
> but there is also mdadm.conf and sadly a copy in the intird

It has never occured to me to check, but you could also specify arrays by
"name=" there, instead of UUID. See "man mdadm.conf".

And it is possible to rename arrays:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/63980/how-do-i-rename-an-mdadm-raid-array

Having same-name arrays on different hosts seems much more reasonable than
same UUIDs.

--
With respect,
Roman