Re: RAID5 failure and consequent ext4 problems

I will be very, very brief: it works.

I put on the overlay, did the first fsck which said it would try the
backup blocks and then complained about not benign able to set
superblock flags and stopped.

At that point, since it said that the FS was modified I assumed that
it had overwritten the block descriptors that were damaged. I tried
mounting -o ro the filesystem without touching it further and... it
works. The files are there, including the newest ones, directory
connectivity is correct as far as several tests can tell....

Of course, I will treat it as a 'damaged' fs, get the files off of
there into a new array, then try the further fsck and see what happens
for curiosity's sake but as far as I am concerned this arrya is no
longer going to be live.

Which is just fine, I got, I believe, what I wanted.

Thank you very much for all your help - I plan to provide a final
update once the copy is done etc.

Let me know where to send scotch. Much deserved.