Re: mdadm not assembling RAID?

What I did to make it work was add nodmraid to kernel parameter - but
since I need to use dmraid sometimes and I want to use the init script
to handle it, I removed 63-md-raid-array.rules and 85-dmraid.rules
from udev so raid doesn't try to automatically start at boot.

However, when trying to do: mdadm --assemble --scan --no-degraded -v

you end up with:

mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdc1
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdc
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda5
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda3
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda2
mdadm: no recongnizeable superblock on /dev/sda1
mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot 0.
mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot 1.
mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md/imsm0 as 1
mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md/imsm0 as 0
mdadm: timeout waiting for /dev/md/imsm0
mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdc1
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdc
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda5
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda3
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sda2
mdadm: no recongnizeable superblock on /dev/sda1
mdadm: /dev/sda is busy - skipping
mdadm: /dev/sdb is busy - skipping
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/md/imsm0: No such file or directory

If I left the rules in place, dmraid takes over, if I do this:

dmsetup remove_all
mdadm --assemble --scan --no-degraded -v

then it comes up fine as well.

Help!
Thanks.