Re: 5.18: likely useless very preliminary bug report: mdadm raid-6 boot-time assembly failure

As the author of lsdrv, I can say that python3 is on my to-do list, via the techniques ESR recommended for mutual compatibility. Pointless syntax changes like this one for constants is discouraging.

FWIW, python 2.7 (the language) is far from dead, as jython has not yet released a python 3 (the language) implementation. I use jython heavily in my commercial work, on a platform that is very popular worldwide. (Ignition by Inductive Automation, if anyone cares.)

The two primary drivers of the move to python3, namely, distinguishing between character and bytes, and the introduction of async programming to mitigate the GIL, are both non-issues in jython 2.7 thanks to the java standard library.

I suspect python 2.7 (the language) will be alive and kicking for at least another decade.