Re: moving a working array

On Fri, 2022-06-24 at 08:38 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have a working (no issues) raid-10 array in one box.
>
> Want to move it to another (new) box.
>
> Please - - - a list of the software steps?
>
> (the physical moving is the easy part - - - the new box has room
> for a lot of drives and is ready for these 4 easily)
>
> Just don't want a fubar situation because I've taken the wrong order
> or even wrong steps.

First make a backup...

Second check the backup...

Third make another backup...

Fourth check that backup as well...

Move disks... (I personally have just amended the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
file to include the uuid prior to moving disks and been good to go. BUT
if I'd have lost all the data, without backups, I'd not have been
fussed as it could all have been recreated/downloaded so I guess it all
depends on how important or unique the data is.)

But if you've got a new machine, why not get new disks and set up a
nice new clean raid and then just rsync the data accross. That way your
old disks become the backup, to the data you've newly transfered to
clean a clean array.