Re: failed sector detected but disk still active ?

Le 18/05/2022 à 05:43, Wols Lists a écrit :
On 17/05/2022 22:27, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 17/05/2022 à 21:00, Wol a écrit :
On 17/05/2022 15:57, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
On the other hand, I have seen faulty drives report success on write to an unreadable block then failing immediate read at the same location.

That's exactly what I'd expect from a write (as opposed to a write-and-verify, they're not the same thing ... :-(

Even when the drive knows that a read of this block previously failed ?
On the contrary I would expect from a decent drive to verify after the write and to reallocate the block if the read still fails.

The drive knows, or the OS knows? Cheap drives won't remember,

The drive should know. It was the one which reported read failure to the host, ran failed offline self-tests and increased the bad block count in SMART attributes (Current_Pending_Sector, Offline_Uncorrectable).

Else how would it be able to decrease the bad block count in SMART attributes after a successful write into a bad block if it doesn't remember that the block was bad ?