Re: nvme raid locking up

On 5/9/22 10:03, Roger Heflin wrote:
> For the hardware, if this is a gen9 with a v4 cpu (cat /proc/cpuinfo will show
> if v3 or v4), then make sure all of your firmware is up to date and disable
> all cstates in the bios and in the os.  If this is a V3 then update bios, but
> my experience was the v3 were pretty stable, but the v4's were very unstable
> without the fixes.
>
> If you have a v4 there are some instability issues that without a current bios
> are pretty bad and manifest as crashes, uncorrectable memory errors, random
> lockup (no messages in ILO), and random PCIE issues/lockups.  And since NVME
> is PCIE based it may not show exactly the same I as I have previously seen
> (since nothing I deal with has NVME) if the NVME buses are being impacted in a
> similar manner.   Updated bioses seem to reduce the crashes quite a lot, but
> on some machines the additional c-state disables are claimed to also be needed
> by the vendor.

It's a v3 (I guess I'm glad I've stuck with the v3's).  They've been quite
stable in general.  I'll apply the latest BIOS/firmware updates and see if
that makes a difference - thanks for the reminder there.  And then move to
disable cstates if the issue persists.

--
Orion Poplawski
IT Systems Manager                         720-772-5637