Re: new drive is 4 sectors shorter, can it be used for swraid5 array?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 8:41 PM Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> old drive:
>    8      128 5860522584 sdi
>    8      129 5860521543 sdi1
> new drive:
> Device Model:     ST6000VN001-2BB186
>    8      160 5860522580 sdk
>    8      161 5860521536 sdk1
>
> New drive is 4 sectors shorter, so I assume

The one option I did not see is resizing the filesystem (smaller) to
make an easy match.

In this case there is a second new disk big enough to back up all the
data so that is
the first task.

Shrinking a filesystem (resize2fs) does have some risks so backup first.

It is sort of nice to leave modest unused space when setting up a new disk.

Also back up to the new disk formatted correctly then invert the question and
add the old disk with matched size partitions to mirror to.

It all depends on the backup strategy. Clonezilla?

--

          T o m    M i t c h e l l  (on NiftyEgg[.]com )