Re: new drive is 4 sectors shorter, can it be used for swraid5 array?

On 18/03/2022 03:08, Marc MERLIN wrote:
old drive:
Device Model:     ST6000VN0041-2EL11C
Serial Number:    ZA18WX4T
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0a47d527a
Firmware Version: SC61
User Capacity:    6,001,175,126,016 bytes [6.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

    8      128 5860522584 sdi
    8      129 5860521543 sdi1

new drive:
Device Model:     ST6000VN001-2BB186
Serial Number:    ZR118A1Y
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0dba1b3c0
Firmware Version: SC60
User Capacity:    6,001,175,126,016 bytes [6.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

    8      160 5860522580 sdk
    8      161 5860521536 sdk1

New drive is 4 sectors shorter, so I assume I can't use it as a replacement in my md5
array because it's 4 sectors too short, or does swraid5 not need the last few sectors
of a drive?

Looks like formatting as MDR won't help, I'm still 4 sectors short.

Suck it and see ...

The two drives look like they report the same User Capacity, ie 6 terabytes "exactly". They should therefore be drop-in replacements for each other.

And I find that eg when I partition a drive it reports unusable space at the end - you should find that any lost space will get lost there ...

And are you using sdk, or sdk1, as your block device to add to the array? While I'd be a little surprised, is it possible the disk drives are reporting different geometries and messing up fdisk's default partition sizes? Try copying the partition geometry exactly from sdi to sdk using sector numbers ...

Plus they're both Seagates (Ironwolf, good choice :-), so there really shouldn't be a problem. The only odd thing I notice is your new drive seems to have an older firmware?

Cheers,
Wol