Re: mdadm is unable to see Alder Lake IMSM array

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:17:14 -0600
Kristoffer Knigga <kris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just built a new PC using an Intel i5-12600K CPU and an Asus Prime
> H670-PLUS D4 motherboard.  Attached to the SATA ports on the
> motherboard are two HDDs and an SSD.  I have enabled VMD, mapped the
> SATA controller under VMD, and created a RAID1 array from the two HDDs
> following the steps in Asus's RAID Configuration Guide
> (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/RAID_Configuration_Guide_V2-EN.pdf).
>
> However, mdadm doesn't seem to know what to do with the array.  I've
> tried the stock Fedora 35 version of mdadm (mdadm-4.2-rc2.fc35) and
> I've built mdadm 4.2 from source, most recently with DEBUG on.

Hi,
This is RST family product but mdadm implements VROC solution. Both
products have same origin but now they are not aligned and as you can
see, they may not be compatible at all.

> I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go from here.  Does mdadm
> not know how to deal with IMSM on this new hardware?  Or is hardware
> not behaving correctly?
>
> Any pointers are appreciated!

We are using same metadata format with RST. It should work with basic
functionalities. Here we have Sata remapping under VMD controller. I
think that our mdadm implementation is not able to handle it correctly,
we are assuming that it must be nvme device.

Thanks,
Mariusz