Re: Replacing all disks in a an array as a preventative measure before failing.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:57:25 -0500
Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/7/22 15:26, Red Wil wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> [trim/]
>
> > Approaches/solutions and critique
> >   1- add one by one a 'spare' and 'replace' raid member
> >    critique:
> >    - seem to me long and tedious process
> >    - cannot/will not run in parallel
> >   2- add all the spares at once and perform 'replace' on members
> >    critique
> >    - just tedious - lots of cli commands which can be prone to
> > mistakes. next ones assume I have all the 'spares' in the rig
> >   3- create new arrays on spares, fresh fs and copy data.
> >   4- dd/ddrescue copy each drive to a new one. Advantage can be
> > done one by one or in parallel. less commands in the terminal.
>
> My last drive upgrades were done in a chassis that had two extra hot
> swap bays.  So I could do two at a time.  I wanted to keep careful
> track of roles, so I started a replace after each spare added, to
> ensure that spare would get the designated role.  After it was
> running, I would --add and --replace the next.  After the first two
> were running (staggered), it was just waiting for one to finish to
> pop it out and start the next.
>
> After completion, I used --grow to occupy the new space on each.
>
> Took several days, but no downtime at all.
>
> Phil

Hello Phil,

My current chassis is full (no space at all) but I found another
chassis I could use to temporary extend my chassis for the duration of
the swap by using two SAS HBAs and use all 22 drives at once.

Thanks
Red