Re: PANIC OVER! Re: The mysterious case of the disappearing superblock ...

On 19 Jan 2022, Wols Lists said:
> Oh well, the good thing is that backup drive is on its way. I'm planning to put plain lvm on it, and write a bunch of services that
> create backup volumes then do a overwrite-in-place rsync. So as I keep advising
> people, it does an incremental backup, but the COW volumes mean I have full backups.

rsync works by rename-then-rewrite on a whole-file basis (it doesn't
just modify changed bits of files), so I'm afraid it's going to be
terribly inefficient for large slightly-changed files, with many
unchanging blocks CoWed nonetheless.

The right way to do a deduplicating backup is to use a deduplicating
backup system (borg, restic, bup, bupstash -- I swear by bup myself).
There's a really good list here: <https://github.com/restic/others>.

--
NULL && (void)