Re: Feature request: Add flag for assuming a new clean drive completely dirty when adding to a degraded raid5 array in order to increase the speed of the array rebuild

That is typically 100MB/sec per disk as it is reported, and that is a
typical speed I have seen for a rebuild and/or grow.

There are almost certainly algorithm sync points that constrain the
speed less than full streaming speed of all disks.

The algorithm may well be, read the stripe, process the stripe and
write out the new stripe, and start over (in a linear manner)  I would
expect that to be the easiest to keep track of, and that would roughly
get your speed (costs a read to each old disk + a write to the new
disk + bookkeeping writes + parity calc).     Setting up the code such
that it overlaps the operations is going to complicate the code, and
as such was likely not done.

And regardless of the client's only being able to run raid5, there is
significant risks to running raid5.   If on the rebuild you find a bad
block on one of the other disks then you have lost data, and that is
very likely to happen--that exact failure was the first raid failure I
saw 28+ years ago).

How often are you replacing/rebuilding the disks and why?