Debugging system hangs

Don't know if this is off-topic or not, seeing as my system is very much reliant on raid ...

But basically I'm seeing the system just stop responding. Typically it's in screensaver mode, I've got a blank screen, and it won't wake up. (I used to think it was something to do with Thunderbird, it mostly happened while TB was hammering the system, but no ...)

Today, I had it happen while the system was idle but not in screensaver, I run xosview, and everything was clearly frozen - including xosview.

As you might know, my stack is ext4 over lvm (over raid over dm-integrity for /home) over spinning rust.

And I run gentoo/systemd - currently on the latest stable kernel afaik, 5.10.76-gentoo-r1 SMP x86_64.

Any advice on how to debug a hang - basically I need something that'll just sit there so when it crashes (and I press the reset button to recover) I'll have some sort of trace. It would be nice to prove it's not the disk stack at fault ...

Obviously, "set these options in the kernel" won't faze me ...

Cheers,
Wol