Re: Proposal of changing generating version of mdadm

On 10/20/21 8:43 AM, Tanska, Kinga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently we diagnosed few issues with 'mdadm -version' output.
> Main problem is that end output varies on few conditions. We come with
> simplified proposal. First let's describe current schema:
>
> mdadm - version - date - extraversion
> (example: mdadm - v4.2-rc2 - 2021-08-02 - extraversion)
>
> or
>
> mdadm - version - date
> (example: mdadm - v4.2-rc2 - 2021-08-02).
>
> VERSION could be taken from code (see ReadMe.c:31), but when git is
> installed and .git directory is available in mdadm workspace, version
> is replaced with output from # git describe HEAD command. It is assumed
> that git command should return last tag from repo, which should contain
> information about last release. This might not be true, especially if user
> uses tags to mark internal milestones or custom mdadm spins.
>
> The second problem is DATE, which corresponds to date of last release.
> When few patches are picked onto HEAD date is not reliable. In my opinion
> DATE is not needed. Usually, packages do not contain this element, e.g.
> -	# git --version
> 		git version 2.27.0
> -	# gcc --version
> 		gcc (GCC) 8.3.1 20191121 (Red Hat 8.3.1-5)
> -	# yum --version
> 		4.2.23
>
> To make it const and reliable, I propose removing DATE and always
> use VERSION from code. VERSION shall keep general release information.
> I would like to move the changeable elements into EXTRAVERSION. This
> field will respect following conditions:
> -	user definition first
>        	(by respecting EXTRAVERSION=xxx during compilation)
> -	if not defined by user, result of # git describe HEAD
> -	else empty.
>
> Example output:
> mdadm - version - extraversion (example: mdadm - v4.2-rc2 - extraversion).
> Thanks for any opinion about this proposition.

Hi Kinga,

I am not against changing the format, however I worry that doing so may
break scripts and tools in the field that nobody is maintaining or have
thought of. If we are to change the output, I suggest making a new flag
that provides the details you want and we can deprecate the old one, but
leave it in place.

Thoughts?

Jes