Re: growing a RAID5 array by adding disks later

On mine I would partition the 8tb into 4tb partitions.

Then replace one of the 4tb partitions with an 4tb partition on an 8tb.

Then create a new 2 disk raid5 array with the old 4tb and the #2 8tb partition

Next add looks similar and you then have 3 disk raid5.

I have my array build of partitions of several disks such that when I
get a bad block on one of the partitions typically only one partition
gets thrown out of its array and when doing ops on the smaller
partitions I don't ever have any operation that takes anywhere close
to a full day.

I am using gpt so I also number the partitions such that they match
the last number of the md device like this:
md13 : active raid6 sde3[12] sdd3[1] sdb3[7] sdh3[8] sdg3[10] sdi3[11] sdf3[9]
      3612623360 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2
[7/7] [UUUUUUU]
      bitmap: 0/6 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

that way I always know 13 gets a *3 device.

The above array was all 3tb disks originally, now 3 of them are
partitions on 6tb disks and I have a 4 disk raid6 added into a
separate fs using the one "good" 3tb disk I removed, and the 3 2nd
partitions on the 6tb disks (the other 2 3tb were having sector read
issues).

This lets me get a bit of extra space without doing an immediate buy
of all 7 new 6TB disks at once.