Re: mdadm resync causes stable system to crash every 2 or 3 hours

On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:44:31 -0400
Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My file server is usually very stable.  The past week I had two mdadm
> arrays that required recync operations.
> * newly created raid6 array (14 x 16TB seagate exos)
> * existing raid 6 array, after a reboot resync on hot spare (14 x 4TB
> seagate barracuda)
>
> During both resync operations (they ran one at a time) the system
> would routinely experience a major error and require a hard reboot,
> every two or three hours.  I saw several errors, such as:
> * kernel watchdog soft lockups [md127_raid6:364]
> * general protection faults (I have a few saved with the full exception stack)
> * exceptions in iommu routines (again I have the full error with
> exception stack saved)
> * full system lockup

So in other words the server is very stable, unless asked to do full-speed
reads from all disks at the same time.

I'd suggest to check or improve cooling on the HBA cards, and then try a
different PSU.

--
With respect,
Roman