Re: SSD based sw RAID: is ERC/TLER really important?

Hi Peter,

On 7/25/21 6:28 AM, Peter Grandi wrote:
* The purpose of having a long device error retry is to instead to
minimize the chances of declaring a drive failed, hoping that many
retries succeed. (but note the difference between reads and writes).
* It is possible to set the kernel timeouts higher than device retry
periods, if one does not care about latency, to minimize the
chances of declaring a drive failed (not[e] the difference
between Linux command timeouts and retry timeouts, the latter
can also be long).

You understanding is incorrect.
Read errors do *not* kick drives out. It takes several read
errors in a short time to fail a drive out of an array.

I am sorry that I was not clear enough and therefore:

* You failed to understand the relevance of "note the difference
   between reads and writes" which I added precisely because I
   guessed that someone unfamiliar with storage device would need
   that terse qualifier.

* You failed to understand the relevance of the "to minimize the
   chances of declaring a drive failed".

* You failed to realize that I was addressing tersely the
   original poster's case of a drive being declared failed
   because of a drive timeout longer than the kernel command
   timeout, without going in detail about all other possible
   cases.

You have reminded me that your mail should have been blackholed--a rule I put in many years agao. I have updated the rule to be more inclusive. I must not be the only one ignoring you, causing you to use multiple subdomains.

No need to reply.  I won't see it.

Phil