Looking for a good documentation on how to recover a raid

Hello,

I am new to this list and I would like to know if does an official FAQ and/or documentation exist on how to recover a broken raid?

I am in the situation that we have a broken WD EX4 NAS. There was one disk failure and after replacing the disk the system went into the rebuild mode. So far so good.

But Murphy's baseball bat hit us right in the face (yes, a raid does not replace a good backup, I know) and during the rebuild a second disk had reported a failure. However, the second disk seems to be fine as it is not that old and as it was replaced roughly half a year ago. SMART data for that disk is fine.

However, the first disk reported a failure is still readable and I was able to clone it using dd. So our hope is that we could bring the raid back to life again. As a test I connected all 4 drives (including the cloned disk) to a linux box and run RR-Studio over the set of disks (read only mode). I am able to extract some data.

Now I want to learn the necessary steps to reassamble the raid correctly on command line and get the rebuild mode completed. Unfortunately I only have very basic knowledge of RAID technology. There are some guides in the net but I would put more trust in a guide created by this community.

Best regards
Michael