Re: raid10 redundancy

> Hi:
>   I am curious about raid10 redundancy when created with disk numbers below:
>
> 2 disks => 1 disk tolerance
> 3 disks = > 1 disk  tolerance
> 4 disks =>  possible 2 disks?  or still only 1 disk ?
>
> how about 5/6 disks with raid10?
> thanks a lot for confirmation!!

Basically, the reason to use raid10 over raid6 is to increase performance. This is particularly important regarding rebuild times. If you have a huge raid-6 array with large drives, it'll take a long time to rebuild it after a disk fails. With raid10, this is far lower, since you don't need to rewrite and compute so much. Personally, I'd choose raid6 over raid10 in most setups unless I need I lot of IOPS, where RAID6 isn't that good. RAID5 is also ok, if you don't have too much drives, but if you get a double disk failure, well, you're fucked.

PS: Always make sure to have a good backup. RAID isn't backup, it's just redundancy and won't help you if your house burns down or a filesystem messes up after a PSU problem or similar.

Vennlig hilsen

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk